Master of Laws by Coursework (LLM)
The Master of Laws (LLM) by formal coursework offers law graduates an opportunity to study in an organised fashion areas of specialty and greater difficulty than are met within a Bachelor of Laws program. Courses offered in the LLM by Coursework program combine a degree of sophistication or technical difficulty in terms of legal content with a substantial consideration of relevant interdisciplinary aspects of the subject matter and a focus on policy. Each course contains a significant research component.
Candidates for the LLM by coursework may undertake study incorporating a major sequence in any one of the following specialist areas: Corporate & Commercial Law; Corporate, Commercial & Taxation; Criminal Justice & Criminology; Dispute Resolution; Environmental Law; Human Rights & Social Justice; Innovation Law; International Business & Economic Law; International Law; Media & Technology Law; Taxation.
To incorporate a specialisation into a Master of Laws by Coursework degree, students must choose 4 courses (24 uoc) from those allocated to that specialisation. The remaining courses may be selected from any of those offered by UNSW Law.
International LLM coursework students are required to enrol in the course Australian Legal System in their first semester. Some students may be exempt from this course because of their academic and professional background.
Visit UNSW Online Handbook for further information.
Did you know?
- Choose to specialise or complete a generalist LLM.
- Study your LLM in Sydney at the CBD or Kensington campuses, choosing from day, evening or intensive study options.
- Undertake an overseas short course in New York, Shanghai, or Vanuatu.
- Go on exchange to the University of Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Gain practical experience with the South Africa Human Rights Clinic or a Human Rights Internship.
- Undertake a research thesis.
- If you are an overseas student from a non-common law background you can undertake our Australian Legal System course, specially designed with you in mind.