What are the work rights of international students in Australia? | Law

What are the work rights of international students in Australia?

Bassina Farbenblum speaks to Australia Plus (19 October 2016) on her current research project with UTS and the University of Sydney, regarding the rights and working conditions for international students in Australia. 

Bassina provided advice on the actions that can be taken if a worker's rights are breached, noting that students should:   

  1. "Contact the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO) on the Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94 or through an interpreter service on 13 14 50.  The FWO may point the worker to relevant materials on their website to help them work out their entitlements, or may contact the employer. In a small number of cases, the FWO may provide further help to the worker or may investigate further. 
  2. Contact the relevant trade union.  Unions can take a range of actions on behalf of a worker who is a member, including directly negotiating with the employer to pay the worker’s outstanding entitlements. 
  3. Contact a community legal centre or specialist legal service.  A number of these provide free advice and assistance to write a letter of demand to the employer, and in a small number of cases will represent the worker in a claim against the employer.
  4. File a claim in Small Claims Court.  Though this option is open to anyone, and a guide to filing a claim is available on the FWO web site, most international students will likely require advice and assistance to do this."

The survey is open to anyone who has worked in Australia on a temporary visa. Click here to complete the survey.

Read the full article here.