- Alexandra George
BA(Hons), LLB(Hons), LLM(Hons), MJur(Hons) (Sydney); GDLP (College of Law); PGCAP (London); PhD (ANU); FHEA
Dr Alexandra George joined the UNSW Law Faculty in 2007, having had earlier academic appointments at Queen Mary, University of London, the University of Wales, Swansea and the University of Exeter in the UK. She has also worked at the European University Institute, Florence, Italy and at the University of Sydney, has practised as an intellectual property and media lawyer, was Associate to Justice MF Moore in the Federal Court of Australia and the Industrial Relations Court of Australia, and worked in journalism at Reuters.
Alexandra is particularly interested in the philosophy of intellectual property law, and globalisation and intellectual property. Her publications examine issues such as the metaphysics and structure of intellectual property law, ‘property’ in and the commodification of intangible objects, and the communicative effects of intellectual property law. She also writes on the role of intellectual property in the globalisation process, and practical issues in intellectual property enforcement.
Her book Constructing Intellectual Property (Cambridge University Press, 2012) examines the ways in which the legal system defines into existence and regulates intellectual property. By analyzing the metaphysical structure of intellectual property law and the concepts the legal system uses to construct 'intellectual property', the book helps to explain the role of intellectual property from a structural -- rather than the traditional normative -- perspective.
In 2013, Alexandra received a Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Teaching Excellence at UNSW.
Areas of expertise
- Intellectual Property (esp. intellectual property theory/philosophy, and issues in international intellectual property and globalisation);
- Applied Legal Philosophy / Legal Theory / Jurisprudence.
Alexandra is happy to supervise research theses in these areas.
Res Publica - Editorial Advisory Group member.
Admitted to practice as a Legal Practitioner of the Supreme Court of NSW, and Barrister/Solicitor of High Court of Australia (federal jurisdiction)
2015-2016 Solicitor's Practising Certificate, NSW.
Volunteer Lawyer, Arts Law Centre of Australia.
Public Interest Intellectual Property Advisors (IP Corps)
International Trademark Association (‘INTA’)
- Foundations of Intellectual Property Law (LAWS3021)
- Foundations of Intellectual Property Law (JURD7321)
- Advanced Intellectual Property Policy and Practice (LAWS3057)
- Advanced Intellectual Property Policy and Practice (JURD7357)
- Intellectual Property Law (LAWS8017)
- Intellectual Property Law (JURD7617)
- Globalisation and Intellectual Property Law (LAWS8050)
- Globalisation and Intellectual Property Law (JURD7350)
- Owning Creativity: Issues in Intellectual Property (GENL2323)