- Anna Cody
Associate Professor, Director - KLC
BA UNSW, LLB UNSW, LLM Harvard, GradDip Legal Practice UTS
Associate Professor Anna Cody is Director of Kingsford Legal Centre, a community legal centre which is part of the University of New South Wales Law Faculty. She has taught at Kingsford Legal Centre for over 15 years. During that time the Centre has won various awards including:
• the 2001 Australian Awards for University Teaching, Law and Legal Studies ,
• 2001 UNSW Vice-chancellor’s Award for Teaching Excellence, and
• 2010 Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning from the Australian Learning and Teaching Council.
Anna Cody has won these individual awards:
• 2016, Australian Human Rights Commision Law Award
• 2009, the UNSW Vice-chancellor's Awards for Teaching Excellence
• 2007, the NSW Women Lawyers achievement award in the government/community lawyer section
Anna Cody comes to the Faculty having worked in international human rights advocacy with the Center for Economic and Social Rights in New York developing their program on the right to health. Anna also has experience in the areas of law and development, specifically in East Timor and Indonesia. She also worked with Indigenous women in Alice Springs establishing a domestic violence service, and in community legal education in El Salvador, educating women on their legal rights within a human rights framework.
Her current areas of research are clinical legal education, human rights and community development.
The Centre offers 7 courses in employment law, community law, family law and domestic violence, a course for first year Indigenous law students. There is also a clinical component in Lawyers, Ethics and Justice which Kingsford Legal Centre teaches. Anna has also developed the course Legal Aid and Global Justice Lawyering: Issues in practice which is taught intensively in summer. She also teaches the course Lawyers, Ethics and Justice.
Areas of expertise
Clinical legal education, International law, Human rights and discrimination, Access to the legal system
- Member Board of the Legal Aid Commission NSW
- Member Board National Association of Community Legal Centres Australia.
- Member NSW Legal Assistance Forum, Prisoner’s working group.
- Steering Committee member, Global Alliance for Justice Education
Joint Australian Learning and Teaching Council Grant for ‘Developing Standards in Clinical Legal Education. Combined project with UNSW, ANU, LaTrobe, Griffith, Murdoch and Monash.
UNSW Law Faculty Learning and teaching grant
- KLC Community Law Clinic (Intensive) (LAWS3303)
- KLC Community Law Clinic Hub (Non-Intensive) (LAWS3304)
- KLC Employment Law Clinic (Intensive) (LAWS3305)
- Foundations Enrichment 2 (Indigenous Students Only) (LAWS1214)
- KLC Family Law Community Education Clinic (Non-Intensive) (LAWS3240)
- Lawyers, Ethics and Justice (LAWS1230)
- Legal Aid and Global Justice Lawyering: Issues in Practice (LAWS3383)
- Lawyers, Ethics & Justice (JURD7130)
14 December 2016
7 June 2013
27 May 2013
27 May 2013