- Michael Legg
LLM University of California Berkeley USA, LLB UNSW, M.Com (Hons) UNSW, B.Com (Hons) UNSW
Michael specialises in civil and regulatory litigation, class actions, and corporate and securities law.
Michael's main research interests are case management of complex civil litigation, the impact of cost and delay on the civil justice system, class actions, litigation funding, regulators’ investigatory powers and the interaction between public and private enforcement of securities laws. His research has been cited in judgments from the Federal Court of Australia, Supreme Court of New South Wales and the Supreme Court of Victoria, and in law reform reports by the Australian Law Reform Commission, NSW Law Reform Commission and Victorian Law Reform Commission.
He is the author of Case Management and Complex Civil Litigation (2011) published by Federation Press, co-author of Principles of Civil Procedure in New South Wales (3d ed 2016) published by Thomson Reuters and co-author of Annotated Class Actions Legislation (2014) published by LexisNexis. He is also the editor of Regulation, Litigation and Enforcement (2011) published by Thomson Reuters and The Future of Dispute Resolution (2013) published by LexisNexis. Michael teaches undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the areas of litigation and corporate law.
Michael has 18 years of experience as a legal practitioner having worked with leading Australian and US law firms. He is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of NSW, Federal Court of Australia, High Court of Australia and in the State and Federal courts of New York.
In Australia, Michael has represented clients in class actions, regulatory proceedings and complex commercial disputes including:
- advising directors and institutional investors in relation to shareholder class actions and litigation funding from both a plaintiff and defendant perspective.
- advising banks and other financial institutions the subject of financial product class actions arising from the global financial crisis.
- acting for a major international airline in two Federal Court class actions involving the aviation industry.
- defending cartel proceedings commenced by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.
- defending a company director facing an Australian Securities and Investments Commission criminal prosecution for market manipulation and misleading representations.
In the US he was involved in the successful defence of a Fortune 500 company facing novel class actions in the state courts of West Virginia and Texas. He also acted for one of the Big 4 audit firms in auditor liability litigation and class actions in the federal courts of New York and California.
Areas of expertise
Civil Procedure, Class Actions, Litigation Funding, Regulatory Litigation, Corporate and Securities Law, US Legal System, Comparative Civil Procedure
Admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Federal Court of Australia and High Court of Australia.
Member of the New York Bar.
Member of the Law Society of NSW.
Member of the Law Society of NSW's Future Committee.
Member of Law Council of Australia Class Actions Committee.
Board Member (UNSW Nominee) Australian Pro Bono Centre.
Editorial Board of Australian Alternative Dispute Resolution Bulletin.
New South Wales State Editor for Journal of Civil Litigation and Practice.
Civil Procedure, Class Actions, Litigation Funding, Regulatory Litigation, Corporate and Securities Law
- Business Associations (LAWS1091)
- Resolving Civil Disputes (LAWS2371)
- Complex Civil Litigation (LAWS3589)
- Complex Commercial Litigation (LAWS8765)
- Regulation, Litigation and Enforcement (LAWS8064)
- Lawyers, Ethics and Justice (LAWS1230)
14 July 2016
31 May 2016
11 May 2016
22 January 2016
24 November 2015
6 November 2015
13 March 2015
19 December 2014
4 December 2014
1 December 2014